KEEPING UP TO DATE
Paid Parental Leave – June 2022 announcement
23 August 2022
The Federal Government recently announced possible changes to the Paid Parental Leave (PPL) scheme in 2023. Based on feedback from both sides of politics we anticipate these changes will be legislated.
Whilst this is not a legislated change, it is important to be aware of the changes which may impact your business and employees. Impact HR understands how important it is for small to medium sized businesses to have early awareness of changes to support planning for their business. Here is a summary of the possible changes and key recommendations for business owners to prepare.
The key points are as follows:
- Two-parent household will have access to 20 weeks of PPL, which can be split between those parents at their discretion in the 2 years following their child’s birth or adoption.
- Dad and partners will, like mums, be able to access the government benefit alongside any employer-funded leave.
- Single parents will have access to the same 20-week scheme
- The eligibility criteria will be broadened.
Recommendations for business owners to prepare for the upcoming changes:
- If you have a Parental Leave policy in place, this is the time to review.
- Ensure you have a system to keep a record of employees on maternity leave
- Ensure you understand the possible changes to provide advice to any impacted employees
We are here to help and support you put a parental leave process in place and understand how the possible changes to the parental leave scheme may impact you and your business. Call us on 1300 474 672, or send us an email if you need help.
More News? Sign Up for our e-Newsletter?